Sunday 22 March 2015

Telenovelas: Paulo & Miguel

There is something called telenovelas that has been intriguing me for some time now. We don't have that at all in Sweden. Right now we actually don't have any soap operas at all, and I don't think we would have any soon. Soaps are really out of date in Sweden. Boring! But the Great Britain, Germany and USA are providing me with what I need. So, what is a telenovela? It is a soap opera in miniseries format, where the number of episodes are planned and limited from start. The program format has its origin in Latin America where it's particularly popular in Brazil, Chile and Mexico among others. But we have them in Europe to. Germany had Rote Rosen, in which Alexander Becht from Gute Zeiten, Schlechte Zeiten starred. But unlike Lenny Cöster in GZSZ, his character Brian O'Reilly was straight. Also Croatia and Spain has telenovelas, and they are very popular in Portugal. I love the concept! But I hadn't had any experienes of them. But then a faghag friend of mine told me about the storyline of Paulo and Miguel, and it happened to be a telenovela! And I loved it, I have to say! I love that it was a nice love story with a beginning and an end, and that I don't have another soap storyline to follow. They are so many right now...


Miguel and Paulo.

But, Paulo and Miguel. Their love story was to be seen in the Portuguese telenovela O Beijo do Escorpião, which means Scorpions kiss, from 2014. The story is about a couple of familys in Lisboa with and there is a shopping mall in focus, but bla bla, let's concentrate on Paulo and Miguel. They are both pilots on a privat jet company and Paulo Furtado (Pedro Carvalho) is deeply closetred because he has a really homophic asshole boss who would sack him if he knew about his sexual orientation. He is best friends with Miguel Macieira (Duarte Gomes) who is a quite sleezy womanizer, but a loyal friend. Until he realizes that he has ended up in bed with Paulo while they were really drunk, and then he becomes a real bastard. I guess that Miguel actually is straight but of course, he falls in love with the lovely Paulo.

Miguel and Paulo on their special day.

If you would want to see this storyline and not want to read any spoilers you should stop reading now. The story ends well with a wedding at the airport where they are both wearing shorts. I wonder if that's common i Portugal to marry in shorts... But anyway, I think it is so interesting how the story usually goes in soap operas and other series when there is a gay couple. I have written about it before, but I will have to do it again. Why soes it always have to be so much violence and why does the abused part always kiss and make up and forgive without winking? Here we have an excellent example of that. When Miguel realizes that he has had sex with Paulo, which he forgot because he was really drunk, he beats up Paulo, he treat him like shit and call him very nasty things, he tries to sabotage at work, he spits on him and he betrays him for his boss. Then Paulo is in a plane crash, Miguel fears that he has lost him and realizes that he loves him and kisses him. And Paulo forgives him without a wink! Why does he do that? Is that how it goes in real life? Unfortunately I think it is more common that we think... But anyway, it has a happy ending, even though it is very quick. It seems like the writers realizes with only a couple of episodes left that they have to wrap it upp and they do want a sunset ending and creates a proposal out of the blue that is not really realistic. But I love it anyway!

Duarte Gomes and Pedro Carvalho.

And I really love this storyline. Ok, the telenovela O Beijo do Escorpião might not be the most fantastic thing ever made, but it is a nicely told story with just the right amount of drama and cosiness, and the story proceeds in just the right speed. Except from the ending. But it is ok. And the actors are really great! Both Pedro Carvalho who plays Paulo and Duarte Gomes who plays Miguel are really good and does a really good job. They have a great chemistry and they manages to convince me that they are in love. I love them both!And if you want to watch their storyline, just follow the link.

And if you would like to watch more telenovelas there are a few with gay storylines. Actually, right now there is an ongoing, also Portuguese storyline in a telenovela called Os Nossos Dias, with a couple called David and Xavier. But I have heard that it is no good, even though Duarte Gomes is playing David. But I think I will give it a chance anyway. Other popular telenovelas with gay storylines are the Argentinian Botineras, the Colombian Niños Ricos, Pobres Padres and the Spanish Un Golpe De Suerte. I will come back to the topic when I've seen any of them!

18 comments:

  1. Seriously, this is exactly what I have in my mind and you addressed what I want to say.

    First, the short pants... a little uncommon to me but they are cute on it :D
    Second, the story is just about the "right length" ;)
    Third, the director should have given more depth to the part when Paulo and Miguel are actually together (before proposal).

    Nonetheless, I still love the story very much. Really sadden by the fact that I have finished the series yesterday. I wish it could be longer, but I know it will not be as good if it drags too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the dilemma with all storylines. Either the story is dragged out to long and everything becomes a mess, or it ends to fast and that gives you a lot of agony because you just want more! So all storylines gives me a little bit of angst...

      Delete
  2. I wish we as viewers did actually see the intimate scenes between Paulo and Miguel......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look up Fabio and Nuno on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will watch that and come back when I've seen it :)

      Delete
  4. hi love what you wrote and i agree with everything u said , i just wanted a question cause ive been confused for a while miguel fell in love with his bestfriend a guy but did he still identify as straight ?
    i might of missed something in the episodes , can you make it clear for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. miguel said he wasnt gay when talking to his therapist but he loved paulo still. so yeah i think you are right he still identified as straight

      Delete
    2. I have no answers, but I think it's like the anonumous writer said. I for one don't think there's just black and white in sexuality, I think we all are pansexual actually. I am hoping for a world where it's ok for a person who identifies as straight to become in love with someone who is the same gender.

      Delete
  5. This is absolutely a wonderful story! I can also recommend "Os nossos dias", where Duarte Gomes also plays a gay character. Link to the first episode on YouTube: https://youtu.be/93-f4o2KIWI The YouTube episodes are updated every Monday and are now on episode 20 (there are more than 40 episodes in total). If you want to se all at once: http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x47fpi_safe-light_david-xavier-os-nossos-dias-2013-2015/1#video=x3grjdt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have watched that already. And written posts about them :)

      Delete
  6. Hi. I am from India. I have watched all the 34 episodes with English sub titles. I really loved the entire serial. I really appreciate acting of all the actors especially Paulo and Miguel. Love you guys. I would love to hear from Paulo and Miguel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was writting on internet and I just found the series have 194 episodes is that true if is where I can find the full series in youtube only 34 you can find

    ReplyDelete
  8. Série très intéressante, les acteurs jouent plutôt bien. Je regretterai néanmoins le choix de tourner souvent en studio et cela se voit. Vivement la diffusion en France. Le sujet de l'amour entre deux garçons est très bien abordé sans provocations, sans excès et donne un bonne leçon aux vieux ringards "vieille France" avident d'un ordre moral formaté.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this series. The actors were good and the romance played out in an interesting, albeit predictable way. I also watched "Os nossos dias" and another one called João e Sérgio (from "Ninguém Como Tu" - 2005). Do you have any other recommendations along these lines? Doesn’t matter which country but need subtitles in English, French or Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thumbs up...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I discovered this Portuguese telenovela just a few days ago, and I loved it! I watched many times on YouTube. I'm straight, married with kids, a Muslim man Malaysia. Am not homophobic, I think people should find happiness their own ways. Life too short.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just happen to discover this soap while searching for International soaps with gay story lines. Surprisingly there were more than I realized. Some are very good ; Emerdale...Robert/Aaron (UK) Eastenders...Syed/Christian (UK) and my favorite, Verbotene Lieberman...Ollie/Christian (Germany).
    Most of the American soaps with gay story lines went of air between 2010-2014,and I'm guessing it was due to some viewers being outspoken about openly gay shows. We still have a way to go here in America with homophobia.
    There is only one left, and the gay story line has been closeted. (Days Of Our Lives).
    This story of Migel and Paulo really contained many of the elements of the gay experience, homophobia, violence, denial, and fear. But as a writer myself and also gay I was so glad to see the writers avoid the stereotypical endings of break ups, marrying a woman to stay in the closet, or all the other run-of-the-mill typical gay endings. They are usually sad and depressing, like WE (the LGBTQ community) don't deserve happily-ever-afters. Well we do and The Kiss Of The Scorpion made sure we got one with Migel and Paulo. I say, "Cheers and thanks."

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do I get the full series ...

    ReplyDelete