Monday 31 March 2014

Blades of Glory

Roman Wild and Deniz Öztürk is pair-skating.

I am watching the DeRo, Deniz and Roman, storyline for the first time and there is lots and lots to like. Alles was zählt is a really fun soap to watch with lots of nice characters and interesting storylines. When I read about the Deniz and Roman story and that it was a ice hockey player and a figure skater who fell in love I knew I just had to watch it. I love love love both ice hockey and figure skating. But I can't skate myself...

I just died in your arms tonight...

As I told you before, the DeRo story ended when Roman died in his big love Deniz's arms. In the ice rink. Beautifully tragic! I am not there yet, but at least I have seen the end of the great figure-skating career of Roman. Roman Wild actually won bronze in both European and World championships. I read somewhere that the actor Dennis Grabosch actually never did any figure-skating before AWZ, and that he started training it just for the part. Well done! I guess that is it's the same for Igor Dolgatschew that plays Deniz. It certainly looks so. But don't get me wrong! The both do a really good job! But as a figure-skating-nerd I just have to be disturbed about stuff watching it. I mean in the EC final where Roman takes the bronze medal and Diana Sommer wins the gold, they had lyrics in the music. That's not allowed. And Diana competed several times in pants. That's not allowed. And really, you can't go from a hockey player to a figure skater and be rather good at in in just a couple of months. That is simply not possible! Not even in a soap opera! But I love it anyway. And the try-out's for the Gay Games in episode 812 was among the most beautiful things I've ever seen on ice! We need more same sex couples in figure skating!

Will Ferrell and Jon Heder in Blades of Glory from 2007.

When I watched the DeRo figure skating phase I got to think of the movie Blades of Glory. Deniz and Roman aren't anything like Chazz and Jimmy in the movie, but in a strange way you get to think of them when you see them anyway. It is something about males lifting each other. Chazz and Jimmy are not gay, but they are same sex. And they are skating together. Not quite as beautiful, but they have their charm. If you haven't seen the movie - do.

I think that it's a innovative and brave thing to let to male characters do pair-skating, and the writers of AWZ really provoked the gender roles and norms with this storyline. I want more of that. Some times I wish I lived in Germany. The Swedes are to dull to think up of such a thing. The Swedes need more same sex pairs in everyting. Dancing, figure skating, love duets etc. When Anton Hysén competed in Let's Dance (Dancing with the stars) I wanted him to get to dance with a man instead. I mean, wouldn't that be nice? And beautiful? I mean, what's not to like in this picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment