Wednesday 23 July 2014

A storyline that I forgot

Shame on me! When I wrote about nordic gays in May i forgot one storyline! Shame on me! And what a storyline! In 1996 to 2000 there was a norwegian soap opera called De syn søstre which also was aired here in Sweden. It was a family saga which included the standard ingredients in a soap opera such as domestic abuse, alcoholism, teenage pregnancy, unfidelity, rape and ordinary feuds. And also homosexuality.

Roy Bakke.

One of the characters, Roy Bakke, who worked in a gym was gay. His collegue and best friend Billeba (I know, weird name) was married to Frode Birkeland who was an ex norwegian champion in ski jumping was a major homophobe and just couldn't get on with Roy.

Frode Birkeland.

They had a lot of arguments and to show Frode what the gay culture was like and that gays are normal people as everybody else and also to cure Frode a little bit from his homophobia, Roy took him to a gay club. Frode was quite unconfortable being at the club and insulted a guy that asked him to dance but he agreed to dance with Roy. He said that if he was going to dance it would be with him. And so it happened that they also danced a slow dance and I remember that Roy said something. I think he said that "If you were gay, that I know that you are not, I would like to kiss you right now". Frode was a bit offended but he responsed by snogging each others faces off. And so a lovely love story begun.

Arne Lindtner Næss as Frode Birkeland and Simon Andersen as Roy Bakke.

You can imagine that Frodes wife Billeba was pissed when she realised that her husband was unfaithfull with a man! By that time she had forgotten that she had had a relationship with another man for years! Anyways, Frode and Roy became a couple and moved in together and I even think they planned adopting. But of course, Frode got cancer and died. It was really heartbreaking and Roy lost the love of his life. It was a really moving love story, and even though I was tired of the series in general I kept watching it, just because of that love story. I dropped it after Frodes death though. But I read on wikipedia that the series ended with the knowing that Roy met another man. Sigh, why do they always have to die? Can anyone explain that to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment